Thursday, January 3, 2008

Zen Shorts (Jon J. Muth) Caldecott Honor Book

(review by Mirjam)
You have probably seen this book in different stores. It's widely available but not so widely known. This book gets 5 stars on every website I looked at.
While it is a children's book with fantastic illustrations, it makes a wonderful gift for an adult who loves to read.
Stillwater the giant panda lives up the hill from three children. As each child pays a visit to the panda, he offers them a story. These tales are zen shorts (short meditations) that offer ideas to ponder. Great discussion for kids and very philosophical for adults.

I can't recommend it enough!!!


2 comments:

cori said...

Beautifully illustrated. My daughter asked for it to be read over and over again and I was always happy to oblige. This one's a keeper!

Mimi said...

My favorite story is about the man who carried his burden. I have to get a copy for myself.
There are lots of cheap new copies on Amazon.