Thursday, January 3, 2008

Austenland (Shannon Hale)

(review by Mirjam)

This was a quick and fun read. Don't expect anything deep or anything like Pamela Aiden's Darcy trilogy. I expect Ashley to read it in a short afternoon ;)
I was terribly predictable, somewhat flat, cute (too cute at times), but it still made me giggle. There is a whole lot of kissing in this book, which irritated me to no end. I assume Hale is Mormon, and tries to give a single desperate women the opportunity to make out as much as possible w/o getting in trouble with her mom or other LDS readers.

The idea of the book was fantastic. A single woman, who wants her own Mr. Darcy gets an all-inclusive vacation to a Manor house in England, where Regent England is acted and played out. Each client (mostly single or flinging women) gets assigned a male actor that would suit her best. (I loved the idea that the main character doesn't choose to be any Austen heroin but keeps her own name: "Jane" and tried each role as Katherine, Emma or Lizzy.)
In a final attempt to leave her Darcy-fantasies behind she still falls in love with her surroundings at Pembrook Park and the empire waist fashion plus some more.

I would give it a 3.5 /5




link: excerpt


3 comments:

cori said...

I thought this was fun - it seemed a little overdone and overdramatic in some parts. But I did still find myself wanting to know what happened next, and the whole vacation was just a fun concept. Enjoyed it. :)

Mimi said...

I know, Of course I googled to find out if there are "Austen vacations"

I bet Shannon Hale had a lot more fun writing it than making it a best seller. What a fun project.

Maw Books said...

I just barely brought this home from the library a couple of days ago but haven't started it yet. My husband read a few paragraphs and said it was the sappiest thing he's ever seen. I rarely read chicklit, so this will be a departure for me, but I'm looking forward to it.

Shannon Hale is LDS, by the way.

Just discovered your blog. A lot of the same books I'm reading. I'm putting you into my reader and hope to come back often. Thanks!