Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Jane Austen Book Club (Karen Joy Fowler)

(review by Mirjam)

Amazon reviews:
5 stars: 46
4 stars: 58
3 starts: 35
2 starts: 49
1 star: 62


The 1 star rating pretty much sums it up.

Two thumbs down. I was so excited when I finally picked it up from the library.
A group of women and one man plan one Austen book per month.
As they discus each book (in very little detail) you find out who each participant of the book club is one of the main heroin of Austen's books (so not!)
You hear about lovely lesbian love making and messed up relationships and everyone's pity me parties.
It was so far removed from Regent England and hardly had anything to do with Jane Austen other than 5 women claiming to like the books.

You are not "like" Lizzy, Fanny, Marianne, Anne, or Catherine just because you liked the book.

The movie to the book just came out and yes I watched the trailer. There will be more lesbian talk than Austen talk, I promise.

....However, my next book in line seems much more promising.

"Austenland" by Shannon Hale. Stay tuned.

No comments: