Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)

(review by Mirjam)

The Amazon review is 4/5 stars.

I heard about this book on the radio and I just had to read it. The author sounded so wonderful and intelligent and I liked her thoughts on the afterlife.

However, I am torn about this book. When I started it I could not put it down. I was waiting for the big reveal and justice at the end. It never came. The ending left me confused and somewhat angry.
The young narrator is dead and tells the story about her family's life and their grieving after her murder. All of them change but are all involved in solving the crime. Some parts were really interesting and philosophical. But then again, the ending...
Warnings: The murder itself was not pretty and there were some strange spirit exchanges. Not really something for a book group.














No comments: