Monday, January 7, 2008

Crossing to safety (Wallace Stegner)

(review by Mirjam)

I forgot to add: The 2 young couples reminded me of you and Kimball and us when we first met and spent every available night together. It was a good book.

This recommendation is for Cori. It got wonderful reviews from Amazon.
It's about 2 young married couples who met in college (married) and the whole book is about their friendship and how it evolves while their lives change.
The characters become so real you really believe Wallace Stegner writes about his own live.
Every time I see the book in my book case I long to read it again.

This was Bishop Handley's (Humanities professor) favorite book and it will not disappoint you.

9 comments:

Jenn S. said...

Read this for book club a few months back - very interesting!

Jenn S. said...

PS - shouldn't it be Philippina? (a and not o ending?) Just wondering since that is what Marc always says when referring to females who come from the Philippines. ;)

(And of course the German princess is most correct!)

Mimi said...

no idea, her husband was in the Philippines. I have to consult my sources. ;) thanks!

There us another book from W. Stegner: "Angel of repose" that is sitting on shelf.

Mimi said...

changed it to Filipina, the correct way ;)

Mimi said...

...who knew

Jenn S. said...

Woops and I totally messed up the spelling - glad you got it right!

:)

cori said...

Wow, just finished this...it was absolutely amazing. Beautiful prose and like you said, the characters were so incredibly real. You can't convince me that they aren't real people. I felt stunned after I finished at the beauty and power of the novel, will be buying my own copy to read and study many more times! Thanks for the recommendation. LOVED it.

Mimi said...

Angel of Repose!

Anyway, people speculate it have to be real character because who can someone make this up. Did it remind you a little of our friendship i the beginning?
Charity is a character I will never forget.

cori said...

Yes, it did remind me of our friendship...it's that whole concept of having family away from family, or family in addition to family! You don't find friends like that very often.