Wednesday, January 2, 2008

These is my words (Nancy E. Turner)

(review by Mirjam)

I would rate it PG 13 for some violence and romance (ahhh). Our Book club read it and this book had the best discussion. I had a hard time stopping because of the fluidity between chapters. You just had to find out what happens to capt. Elliot ;)

from Amamzon:
These Is My Words begins with Sarah Prine's family pulling up stakes and traveling toward a new home in the early 1880s. Deciding to record the events of her life in a diary, Sarah takes us step-by-step through the real tragedies of life on a frontier but also through the triumphs that make life bearable. Sarah is a tough young woman who is a sharpshooter, both with a rifle and her spirit. Young and impressionable, she finds out that people and events are not always what they seem and she makes plenty of mistakes along the way.
The love story between she and Captain Jack Elliott is one of the best I've ever read; you can feel the love between the two jump off the page and grab you around your own heart. Finding a stopping place in this wonderful book is next to impossible and to say that your soul will become involved is to state the obvious. Sarah and her stories will live a very long time within me. This is historical fiction at its absolute best. Highly, highly recommended.


2 comments:

cori said...

We read this in our book club as well. I wasn't sure about it at first (as I encountered PG-13 content, lol) but found it a compelling read and a beautiful love story. I would definitely recommend it also. There's a sequel, called "Sarah's quilt." I haven't read that yet, have heard it is also good but not as good as "These Is My Words." I do have to say that the title of the book has always annoyed me, though. I expected it to be a phrase in the book somewhere but it wasn't, so it loses its poetic justice for me. And to have to say a grammatically incorrect phrase every time I say the title...sorry, enough. Read it anyway, it's awesome.

Mimi said...

It bugged me in the beginning chapters that there were obvious grammatical errors and through her live/ chapters her grammar improved. It was somewhat cheesy to give it that title.
The ending was so sad though.
It was such a good book that my friend, who never reads actually finished it. That should say enough ;)