Friday, February 1, 2008

Das Geheimnis der Hebamme (Sabine Ebert)

No translation available. "The Midwife's Secret" (historical fiction)

I only read it because my mom, grandmother, and 2 sisters read it. They told me I have to read it, which was cute because we could all talk about it afterwards. It's was close to 700 pages long and I read it when I had my sinus and ear infection.

Story:
Germany, 12th century, unhappy and starving farmers left the west to start new villages in the "dark forests" of Saxony (my home state). On their way to Saxony they take under their care a 14 year old midwife apprentice, who's running away from her executing because her masters' wife had a still birth.

A young knight settles with his new settlers on a hill. They find out that they landed on an iron and silver mountain. The city is now called "Freiberg" (Free mountain) and is the location of the Germany temple (in which we got married).
The story is about the love of the midwife to the young knight that face huge difficulties with robbers, greedy farmers, temperamental knights and moody monarchs, who all want their share of the new found wealth of their village.

I give it 3 stars.

No comments: