Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)


Background to the author: Markus Zusak has German parents and lives in Sydney Australia. He took the story from his parents' stories.

This is a Teen Book. However I would not recommend it to any teen. This is a good intro into the complex problems in Nazi Germany. There is a good amount of German swearing but is pretty tame in cruelty.
Death is the narrator, which was very interesting in the beginning but throughout the book it sounds more like a narrative in 3rd person.
It too me well over 150 to get into it. After 400 pages I wanted to know the end but was quite emotionally detached from the main character.

It's a tragic story about a girl who discovers the positive and negative powers of words.
As Liesel steals books, Death takes what belongs to him as well.



1 comment:

Maw Books said...

Hi! Found your blog through Google and see a lot of books I'm interested in. I'll come back for sure!

I thought this book was amazing! Why wouldn't you recommend it for teens though? You didn't really quite say. I think teens should read this book. So many teens aren't aware of their place in history and anything that enlightens them sounds good to me!